In short, The Universal Account Number (UAN) is important because all Employee Provident Fund (EPF) services are now done online. With a UAN, it’s easy to do things like withdraw money from your PF account, check your EPF amount without help from your company, and apply for a PF loan. Everything you need to know about your Universal Account Number is in this text.
UAN stands for Universal Account Number.
- The Universal Account Number, or UAN, is a 12-digit number that is issued to each employee who contributes to the EPF. The Employee Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) generates and distributes it, and the Ministry of Labour and Employment, Government of India, authenticates it. An employee’s UAN remains constant throughout his or her career, regardless of how many positions he or she holds.
- When an employee changes jobs, EPFO assigns a new member identity number of EPF Account (ID), which is connected to the UAN. As an employee, you can seek a new member ID by presenting your UAN to your new employer. Once the member ID is formed, it is connected to the employee’s UAN. As a result, the UAN will serve as a catch-all for the several Member Ids assigned to the individual by various employers.
- The UAN stays the same and transferable throughout an employee’s career. When moving employment, the employee must use a separate member ID. To facilitate EPF transfers and withdrawals, all such member IDs are connected to the employee’s UAN.
What UAN is and what it does
- The UAN helps put all staff information in one place in the country.
- One of the most important uses of this unique number is that it makes it easier for EPF organizations to verify employees with companies and bosses.
- With this account, EPFO could get the member’s bank account information and KYC without the help of the company.
- EPFO can keep track of how many times a person changes jobs.
- With the UAN, there have been a lot fewer early and untimely EPF withdrawals.
Things you should know about UAN
- The UAN is a unique number that is given to every person who works for more than one company.
- If KYC papers are checked, the employee’s UAN can be used to prove the employee’s identity to the company.
- Since the UAN gives the worker access to the Internet, the boss won’t be able to take his PF or hold it back.
- Every month, the employee can use his UAN to sign up on the EPF Member Portal and see how much the company has put into the PF.
- You can also get to your EPF passbook by sending an SMS with the message “EPFOHO UAN ENG” to the number 7738299899 from the phone number that is on file with the EPFO.
What workers can get out of UAN
- Every new PF account that comes with a new job will be part of a single account.
- With this number, it’s easy to get all or part of your PF online.
- With this unique account number, workers can move their PF amount from one account to another.
- When you need a PF statement (for a visa, a loan, etc. ), you can get one right away by signing in with your member ID or UAN or sending an SMS.
- If your UAN is already Aadhaar- and KYC-verified, your new company doesn’t need to verify your information.
- UAN makes sure that companies can’t reach or keep their workers’ PF money.
- It is easier for an employee to make sure that his or her boss is making regular deposits to the PF account.
Process of Giving Out UANs Online
- The online allocation of UANs happens in the following steps:
- The EPFO gives the UAN to everyone who has a PF account.
- The information of the UAN must be downloaded and given to the company.
- This UAN is then given to the employee of the company who needs it.
- EPFO’s web sites make it easy to check the UAN allocation.
What you need to open a UAN
If you just started working for the first time with a listed business, you need the following things to get your Unique Account number:
- Information about a bank account includes the account number, IFSC code, and store name.
- Any national ID card with a photo on it, like a driver’s license, passport, voter ID, Aadhaar, or SSLC Book.
- home proof: A recent utility bill in your name, a rental/lease agreement, a food card, or any of the above forms of ID with your present home on it.
- Your PAN card should be tied to your UAN.
- Aadhaar card: Aadhaar is required because it is linked to your bank account and cell phone number.
Services Provided via the EPF Member Portal
A UAN Login for employees and employers is required to access the UAN portal and use the website’s features. Employees may quickly download/view, or change information via this site. Employers, on the other hand, get to evaluate the actions and record them in the accounts accordingly. The site gives a more unified record of EPF account actions.
After entering the UAN and password, one can accomplish the following:
- Download the passbook and the UAN card
- View the PF connection status and member IDs
- Check the status of a transferred claim, file a claim, and review system-generated transfer claims.
- Change your email address and phone number
- Update the KYC papers and upload them as well.
- View the contact information for the helpdesk.
How UAN Has Made EPF Management Simple
The UAN may be quite beneficial in managing your PF account:
- Throughout an employee’s career, the UAN is useful or transferrable. Because all past accounts are tied to a single UAN, you may simply provide your UAN and PF account data to numerous employers.
- By enrolling on the EPFO member site, you can obtain a UAN card.
- Employees can upload scanned KYC papers to the platform, and the employer can validate them.
- The UAN also aids in the tracking of claim transfers on the EPFO site.
- Using UAN, one may verify the PF balance by downloading the passbook from EPFO’s website.
- The UAN makes PF account management simple because withdrawals are not necessary due to the universal linkage of PF accounts.
- On EPFO’s website, there is a distinct UAN helpdesk with several sections dedicated to different visitor issues. The two major categories are help and claim. ‘Help’ responds to employee and employer inquiries on EPFO office locations, UAN, Services, Grievances, and so on. On the other side, claim refers to the numerous claim forms available to users, such as the Composite Claim form (Aadhar), and so on.
- Members can use this help desk, which is open 24 hours a day, to obtain answers to their questions and concerns.
How to Answer Questions
How can your employer tell you what your UAN is?
- The EPFO says that most of the time, your company gives you a Universal Account Number. Some companies also put the UAN number on the paycheck stubs. By using the PF number or member ID on the UAN Portal
- If your company can’t give you your Universal Account Number, you can also get it through the UAN site. You need to do the following:
- Step 1: Go to https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/ and click on the UAN Portal.
- Step 2: Click on the tab that says “Know your UAN Status.” The next page will show up.
- Step 3: Choose your state and EPFO office from the dropdown menus and enter your PF number/member ID along with your name, date of birth, cell number, and security code. You can find the PF number/member ID on your pay slip. Enter the ‘Get Authorization Pin’ tab.
- Step 4: You will get a PIN on your cell number. Click the “Validate OTP and get UAN” button after entering the PIN.
- Step 5: Your Universal Account Number will be sent to your phone number.
How do I use my UAN to transfer my EPF account?
Here’s how to move money from your PF account using your UAN:
- Check if you are eligible for PF and make sure that all of your current and past companies’ records are online at EPFO.
- Put the electronic name online
- You have to sign up on the EPFO portal (https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/index.php) before you can make a move online.
- After logging in to the EPF member site, choose the option to transfer your account.
- Fill out the form in its entirety.
- Click on “Get OTP” after choosing the attesting authority and member ID/UAN.
- Your registered phone number will get an OTP. Type in this OTP to continue.
- You will get a tracking ID after your form is sent.
- Take the form’s printout and turn it in to your present job.
How do I use my UAN to sign up for and log in to the EPFO member portal?
To set up your UAN, you need your Universal Account Number and PF user ID. Here are the steps you need to take to activate your UAN on the EPFO portal:
- Step 1: Go to the EPFO site and click “For Employees” on the screen under “Our Services.”
- Step 2: In the services part, click “Member UAN/Online Services.” If you go to https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/, you will get to the UAN portal.
- Step 3: Get a UAN Sign in: Enter your Universal Account Number, your cellphone number, and your PF account ID. Type in the letters in the captcha. Click the ‘Get Permission PIN’ button. You will get the PIN on the phone number you gave when you signed up.
- Click “I Agree” in the box that says “I have read and agree to the disclaimer.” Then, enter the OTP that you get on your phone, and click “Validate OTP and Activate UAN.”
- When you activate your UAN, you will get a password sent to the phone number you used to sign up for it.
How do I turn on UAN?
After making a UAN and PF member ID, you can follow the steps below to activate your UAN:
- Go to http://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/index.php to see the EPFO website.
- Click “Our Services” and then “For Employees.”
- Go to “Member UAN/Online Services” now.
- On the new page, enter your UAN, your mobile number, and your PF user ID.
- Getting permissionha
- Click on “Get PIN for authorization.”
- Choose “I Agree” and enter the One-Time Password (OTP) sent to the registered cell number.
- You will get the password you need to get into the site.
How has UAN made it easy to withdraw/transfer money?
When the employee changes jobs, he can either take out or move his money. But because the whole thing was so time-consuming, most people didn’t use their PF. After UAN came out, the job got easier in the following ways:
- You can connect all of your PF funds to your UAN.
- You have to give your UAN to your company, and after the KYC verification, you can control your account online.
- You get a monthly report on your phone about how much your company has put into your PF account.
- If the PF account is related to the UAN, the employer has to step in less.
- As UAN makes it easier to link all PF funds, people are taking out less money.